The Mission of NAGAP is to support, advance and engage graduate enrollment professionals by promoting integrity, excellence and collaboration through education and professional development.
NAGAP celebrated it's 30th anniversary in Salt Lake City and invites you to review the photos and timeline below to see how we have evolved over the years.
Pictures paint a thousand words and the pictures from the 30th Anniversary Conference in Salt Lake City can be found by clicking the image above.
In the beginning . . .
- April 15, 1987 — A group of graduate admissions personnel suggested the creation of a forum for networking with fellow colleagues about their mutual concerns in the growing graduate admissions field.
- Summer-Fall 1987 —The group held a second meeting and NEAGAP (New England Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals) was born.
- April 1988 — First NEAGAP conference held in Sturbridge, Massachusetts (approx. 100 participants in attendance).
- April 26, 1991 — Members voted to become a national organization called NAGAP—National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals.
- September 1993 — NAGAP Standards for Graduate Admissions Personnel first appeared in the NAGAP Journal.
- Summer 1994 — First biannual salary and membership survey - developed and administered.
- 1994— First NAGAP chapter was formed (NJ-GAP).
- Summer 1995—First Professional Development Workshop was held for new admissions personnel.
- April 1997 — 10th Anniversary in Orlando, FL.
- February 1998 — First Advanced Professional Development Workshop was held in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- June 2000 — Hit goal of 1,000 members.
- November 2001 — First Executive Professional Development Workshop was held in New Orleans.
- Fall 2002 — The NAGAP Journal changed to a newsmagazine called Perspectives.
- April 2005 — First Pre-Conference Executive Institute was held (previously the Executive PDI, a one-day, topic-oriented, pre-conference session).
- April 2006 — Treasury had grown to over $1 million and membership passed the 1,500 mark.
- June 2006 — Opened its first executive office in Lenexa, Kansas after hiring an association management company.
- April 2007 —20th Anniversary Conference Orlando, FL.
- May 2008—Awarded the first Graduate Student Research Grant.
- 2008 — Membership hit 2,013.
- 2008 — NAGAP’s first International Relations Committee was formed.
- 2010 — Hobson’s became NAGAP’s first Alliance Circle Partner, followed by ETS in 2011.
- 2011 - Membership representation is in all 50 states and 9 International countries.
- April 2012 — 25th Anniversary in Austin, TX.
- August 2012 — NAGAP changes its name from National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals to NAGAP, the Association for Graduate Enrollment Management.
- 2012 — Offered its first webinar.
- 2013 — Initiated a multi-year research effort to define GEM.
- October 2013 — Launched a new website with additional resources.
- February 2017 — Created a Holistic Admissions Resource Guide.
- 2017 — NAGAP has 11 Regional, International and Special Interest Group Chapters.
- April 2017 — Celebrated 30 Years in Salt Lake City, UT (approx. 1,000 attendees).